Friday, October 16, 2009

Lots of Progress - Learned Something TOO!

I enjoyed a very physical day on Thursday. I had planned on having a sub for tennis so Thursday morning I got up and did 3 tough miles. I pushed myself to run longer than I had on Tuesday. It felt great! I also discovered imapmyfitness app on my iPhone. Very handy little tool! More about that after I've had a chance to use it more.

Then about noon I found out that Brooke wouldn't be able to play. It was fine, my elbow's feeling really good. I invested in the brace my Dr. recommended and I was really excited to play. However, I usually take it easy on mornings I'm going to play tennis because I don't know if my legs can handle it. Well they CAN! I played great tennis! My elbow didn't hurt (except for just a few twinges on some serves). And I was tracking the ball, and moving as well as I ever do (caviat being that I have never moved well anyway)!

So, I think when I'm scheduled for doubles I'll go ahead and push myself to run on those mornings! I've estimated that I burned 891 calories yesterday (might be = to the pho I ate). When I get back to singles, I will probably need to "save the legs". But, I can still push my training when I'm playing doubles. Good to know!

I did have phys therapy this morning at 7:00 which only gives me about 20 minutes to work out... so I just walked 1 mile this morning, enjoyed the brisk autumn air with a big old cup of coffee.  I do think I will try to stop in at the gym this afternoon and swim 10 laps. I'll report back here if I achieved that goal today. ;-)

I don't really believe anyone reads this... but I want to put out in the universe that I would love to hear about others who are on the same journey I am on. Women who... may be past their prime physically but, want to enjoy their lives and their body to the fullest NOW when we can really appreciate it. Let's face it, I took good health and fitness for granted in my 20s and spent those years very overweight and unhealthy. I just want to read about what YOU did today. Feel free to contact me here or via twitter.com/40yearoldathlete.

Be good to yourself today and take some time for yourself! You deserve it. Do something physical! Don't think about what you're not capable of but appreciate and enjoy what you CAN do. You'll be able to do more tomorrow.. and the day after.. and the day after that. Enjoy the journey!

No comments: